Tuesday 23 May 2017

Manchester

I needed to just write something about this as my heart is in pieces and none of my house are awake to lament with me.

By now you've probably heard that there was an explosion, suspected terror attack,  at Ariana Grande's concert last night in Manchester in which 22 people have died and many more injured. It's always horrendous whenever anything happens like this but Manchester is a place I adore and I have friends from there, friends who are at uni there now, people I admire in the Youtube and celebrity world; it's their hometown. I've been to Manchester Arena a few times myself. The city itself is lovely and a place I will happily visit again and again. So this is hitting pretty close to home in a strange way.

I think it's the fact that  I know some of the dead are going to be children. Kids who just like Ariana's music and were probably so excited about seeing her and they never got home. They should be at school today and they aren't. My heart absolutely breaks for their families.  I can't even imagine how horrible this is.

However, the British people are the most resilient people I've ever come across, I should know I'm a British person myself. The emergency services are absolutely brilliant, running towards the danger. Taxi drivers were offering free lifts, people offering their spare rooms for those stranded, local hotels ensuring kids separated from their parents are safe and trying to help them get in contact. I even saw a guy on twitter from Liverpool who drove between the cities all night giving lifts where he could and refusing to take money for it as well. People have been queuing at blood donation centres this morning. It is people like this that need to be remembered, not the murderer whoever they may be.

It takes tragedy to show how good humans can be as well, which I suppose is sad in a way but at least for everyone affected by this attack they know there is someone out there who is going to listen and going to help. If I was in the area I would be doing something to try and help but seeing as I'm about 100 miles away there isn't much I can do but offer words of support so I guess I'm here if you need a chat.

I feel better for getting this out in some form. So thanks for reading despite the mess of a post it is. If you want to know what I'm feeling but in a more articulate way James Corden did a lovely video on his show that sums it up.

The emergency number is this if you happen to be reading this and could do anything to help (I know it's a long shot but still) : 0161 856 9400

Laura x

No comments:

Post a Comment