Monday 30 January 2017

La La Land - mini-review

So the film the whole world seems to be talking about at the moment is La La Land and I finally managed to see it this past weekend as a post-exam treat! (thanks for paying for my ticket mum and dad lol) No spoilers!!

Mini-review- first things first, this has to be one of the prettiest films I have ever seen in terms of direction and cinematography. Every scene was clearly so well thought out in terms of colour scheme, position of props etc etc. Visually, it was just stunning to look at - that goes for the costumes as well. The music was just lovely, recurring themes woven throughout them and City of Stars has quickly become a new favourite of mine.

Emma Stone was superb as per usual, she captured the character of Mia delightfully (I am slightly biased though as I love anything she does). Ryan Gosling was also very good as Sebastian, however I personally felt his character was slightly dull but that was not necessarily his fault.

I think my main issue with this film was the fact when you strip away the music, the pretty songs and scenery, the story is essentially kind of boring and definitely a story Hollywood has done before. Girl meets boy, blah blah blah. However, the callbacks to the old Hollywood musicals like Singing in the Rain, Casablanca etc were a lovely touch and making it a modern love story was interesting.

On the whole, I'd recommend it and I would say it is worthy of it's nominations in the award shows especially in the case of direction and cinematography as I am still thinking about how beautifully some of the scenes were shot.

Soz for the short length of this; I'm planning bigger and better posts to come.
Thanks for reading, Laura x

No comments:

Post a Comment